Just when you thought life wasn’t busy enough, the calendar changed to April and Spring Cleaning is upon us. Knowing that you’ll have a cleaner house, and possibly one less item on your to-do list, is often cause enough to partake in this age old ritual. Even if your routine doesn’t look like the haul-it-out deep-clean your mom used to do, Spring is the perfect time to embrace change, shake off the winter and move into the new season with a fresh look.
Tips to get Spring Cleaning started:
- Crank the tunes! There’s nothing like a high-energy playlist or your favourite album to get you motivated. Our Cleaning Like a Boss! playlist is sure to do the trick.
- Set priorities: if your kitchen and bathrooms are kept close to spotless, but your closets are an eye sore start there.
- Tight on time? Set a 15-minute timer, clean one area as thoroughly as you can, and repeat. It might not get done all at once, but at least you’re getting started!
Spring Cleaning for the Bathroom:
- Vacuum the exhaust fan cover with a dusting brush
- Launder or replace shower curtains
- Launder or replace bath mats (inside and outside the tub)
- Clean tub, shower surround, and counter. The Honest Company Bathroom Cleaner works (and smells) amazing without containing any harsh chemicals.
- Tip: No exhaust fan in the bathroom? Keep an eCloth Glass and Polishing Cloth handy. After a shower wipe away condensation and clean the mirror at the same time.
Spring Cleaning for the Kitchen:
- Clean stainless steel appliances with water and a eCloth Stainless Steel microfiber cloth
- Empty Tupperware section and match every lid up with a bottom; toss any item that doesn’t have a mate
- Dispose of any expired spices, or any spices you do not use
- Dispose of any expired condiments or food in the fridge
- Dispose of freezer food that’s past it’s prime (i.e. more frost than food)
Spring Cleaning for the Bedroom:
- Using the upholstery tool, or a mini turbine head if available, vacuum the top and sides of your mattress
- Vacuum underneath and behind all furniture (headboard, dressers, etc.)
- Organize and clean closets with our Closet Spring Cleaning Guide
- Tip: if your clothes tend to smell stale after storing put Fresh Wave Pearl Packs in drawers, or use the Fresh Wave Pod inside closets
General Spring Cleaning Tasks:
- Remove curtains and launder
- Use a Shutter Blind vacuum attachment to painlessly clean Venetian or mini blinds
- Vacuum fan blades, lamp shades, window & door frames, picture frames, and baseboards with dusting brush attachment
- Vacuum stairs and under couch cushions
Things to toss during Spring Cleaning:
- Expired Medicine (find out how to here)
- Toiletry items that are no longer used
- Cleaning products that are no longer used
- Old paint (find out how to here)
- Old magazines, flyers, phone books, or newspapers
- Anything that’s broken and cannot be repaired
Things to donate during Spring Cleaning:
- Knick knacks you no longer like or display
- Old bath / hand towels, sheets and blankets (many pet shelters will gladly accept these!)
- Excessive plastic or reusable shopping bags
- Mismatched dish sets and unused mugs
- Extra kitchen utensils and measuring cups or spoons