The long winter may have gotten us down and had many longing for the warmer weather, but the transition into spring can be bittersweet for the allergy sufferers among us. Unfortunately we can’t control what happens outside, but we can make changes to our indoor environment to help prevent and reduce allergy symptoms this season. The small things can make a big difference!
One of the best things we can recommend is to: clean, clean, and clean! Whether your allergies are seasonal or environmental, keeping your home dirt and dust-free will remove potential triggers such as pet dander, mould spores, pollen, and mites.
- Remove window treatments from your home entirely, or keep blinds and curtains clean and dust-free. Curtains can be laundered, and blinds can be cleaned easily with your vacuum.
- Keep windows closed to prevent the wind from blowing allergy triggers inside.
- Dust with a cloth that traps particles, like the e-cloths, not a duster or paper towel that just tosses them back into the air. The fibers on a microfiber cloth capture and lock in debris until they are washed which helps to reduce airborne particles, and they work with water eliminating the need for chemicals.
- Vacuum carpeting, area rugs, and bare floors frequently to remove dust and dirt. Beam central vacuums have been clinically proven to improve nasal, non-nasal, eye, and sleep symptoms related to allergies. As well, since Beam central vacuums do not recirculate the dirt it removes 100% of the dust, mites, dander, and allergy triggers it comes into contact with. This is great news for individuals with allergies and asthma!
- Keeping bedding clean and impenetrable to dust mites is an excellent way to fight allergies. Encase mattresses, pillows, and comforters in zippered mite-proof covers and wash bedding in hot water weekly.
- For those with sensitivities to detergents or fragrances, Persil and Miele both make a “sensitive” line of laundry soaps.
- Fight mould and bacteria in your home with steam instead of harsh chemicals that can be a trigger for people with breathing problems. The Reliable EnviroMate P7 is designed to kill harmful particles and remove dirt on any hard surface with only water.
- And finally, clean the air! Air purifiers work to capture and destroy airborne allergens, bacteria, viruses, mould, fungi, and other harmful particles. IQAir is the only company that can boast a 0 (zero) parts per million dust emission, meaning they remove 100% of the particles and only release clean air.
Manage your environment and have a happy, healthy spring!